Tuesday, March 27, 2012
P. F. Chang's Chicken Lettuce Wraps Copycat
3 T. oil
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup water chestnut
2/3 cup mushroom
3 T. chopped onions
1 t. minced garlic
4 -5 leaves iceberg lettuce
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. rice wine vinegar
2 T. ketchup
1 T. lemon juice
1/8 t. sesame oil
1 T. hot mustard
2 t. water
1 -2 t. garlic and red chile paste
Stir Fry Sauce:
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. brown sugar
1/2 t. rice wine vinegar
• Make the special sauce by dissolving the sugar in water in a small bowl. Add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ketchup, lemon juice and sesame oil. Mix well and refrigerate this sauce until you're ready to serve.
• Combine the hot water with the hot mustard and set this aside as well.
• Eventually add your desired measurement of mustard and garlic chili sauce to the special sauce mixture to pour over the wraps.
• Bring oil to high heat in a wok or large frying pan. Saute chicken breasts for 4 to 5 minutes per side or done. Remove chicken from the pan and cool.
• Keep oil in the pan, keep hot.
• As chicken cools mince water chestnuts and mushrooms to about the size of small peas.
• Prepare the stir fry sauce by mixing the soy sauce, brown sugar, and rice vinegar together in a small bowl.
• When chicken is cool, mince it as the mushrooms and water chestnuts are.
• With the pan still on high heat, add another Tbsp of vegetable oil. Add chicken, garlic, onions, water chestnuts and mushrooms to the pan. Add the stir fry sauce to the pan and saute the mixture for a couple minutes then serve it in the lettuce"cups". Top with"Special Sauce".
Find original recipe here.
*** I made this recipe for Mother's Day dinner. It was good but the labor involved in the recipe did not excite me to want to repeat the process. The special sauce if very good and could be used for other oriental dishes.