Friday, March 23, 2012

Texas Sheet Cake



Mix together:
2 c. all purpose flour ( I use 2 1/2 c. spelt)
2c. sugar

Next mix the following in a sauce pan bringing to a boil. Pour over the above mixture. Mix well.
1c. butter
4 Tbs cocoa powder
1c. hot water

Next add:
½ c buttermilk (here’s where I usually just use ½ c. milk with a Tbs of lemon juice)
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla

Mix well and pour into pan 11″ x 17″. Grease only the bottom. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

Icing: 5 minutes before the cake is done, mix and bring to a boil:
½ c. butter
5 Tbs buttermilk (I do same as above)
2-3 Tbs cocoa powder

After the mixture boils stir in
1 lb powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Allow cake 5 minutes to set up before spreading the frosting.

This recipe came to our family from David’s mom, Dee. She made this for us one year, a long time ago, when she was visiting at Christmas. I’ve seen the same recipe many times in different cook books. It’s quite easy and one reason I like it is because it is made with ingredients I always have on hand and you don’t have to wait for it to cool to frost it. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment