Tuesday, July 10, 2012
Crunchy Noodle Salad
· 1 (12 ounce) coleslaw mix (or you can simply shred a head of cabbage)
· 2 (3 ounce) packages oriental-flavor instant ramen noodles, other flavors are good too
· 1 bunch green onion, chopped
· 4 ounces sesame seeds, toasted (optional)
· 4 ounces slivered almonds, toasted
· 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or sesame, olive oil will get solid in refrigerator)
· 1/3 cup white wine vinegar or 1/3 cup cider vinegar
· 1/4 cup sugar (or Splenda)
Place sesame and almonds on a microwave safe plate and cook until browned. About 1 minute-Watch carefully! Allow to cool.
Mix cabbage, sesame and almonds together in a large bowl.
Dressing: Mix the spice packets from the noodles with the green onions, oil, vinegar and sugar. Shake or stir until well blended.
Refrigerate seperately until ready to serve.
When ready to serve:
Break RAW ramen noodles into small pieces and mix into cabbage mixture. DO NOT COOK NOODLES!
Pour dressing over cabbage and noodles and mix well.
NOTE: Can be made a meal by adding some cooked shredded chicken or thawed frozen salad shrimp. Experiment!
Toasting the seeds and nuts brings out the flavor- You can also add the RAW noodles to the toasting step for more added flavor.
Find the original recipe here.