Saturday, August 25, 2012

Grilled Picnic Chicken

5 pounds bone-in chicken (we prefer thighs)

Spice Rub:
2 tbsp kosher salt  (6T)
3 tbsp brown sugar  (9T)
2 tbsp chili powder  (6T)
2 tbsp sweet paprika  (6T)
2 tsp gr. black pepper  (2T)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (3/4t)

( ) are for tripling the recipe, which I do when I make it, I store the extra in a glass mason jar.

Coat dry chicken with spice mix. (like shake and bake) Place on wire racked pan, cover lightly, do not seal, with foil and refridgerate 6-24 hours. (We do overnight)  Do not skip this step, it is well worth the wait!

Preheat grill, on high, with all burners.  Place chicken on the center of the grill, skin side up and turn off heat directly below chicken. (My grill will still have burners lite to either side.)  Do this quickly so that the grill will maintain a temp around 400 degrees.  You do not need to move it around, it is baking on the grill.  I will sometimes check half way through the time but but quick here to as you will lose temp and need to cook longer.   Grill chicken until done, internal temp 175*.  This will be about 45-55 munites.

Serve hot or cold.

*** this can be done in the oven at 400* but I keep setting my fire alarm off and find it even easier/better on the grill.

This is Jamie's speciality in the Terry house!

The original recipe comes from America's Test Kitchen.  I don't remember which season.  We have simplified it slightly but the rub recipe is the same.   Enjoy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment