Friday, August 31, 2012
Raspberry Swirl Frozen Dessert Recipe
•2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
•2 tablespoons butter, melted
•5 teaspoons sugar
•3 eggs, separated
•1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
•1 cup sugar, divided
•1/8 teaspoon salt
•1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
•1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
•1-1/2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
•1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened raspberries, thawed
•In a small bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, butter and sugar. Press into an 11-in. x 7-in. dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
• Meanwhile, for filling, in a small heavy saucepan, combine the egg yolks, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Set aside.
• In a small heavy saucepan over low heat, combine the egg whites, cream of tartar and remaining water and sugar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed until mixture reaches 160°. Transfer to a small bowl; beat on high until soft peaks form.
• In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in egg yolk mixture. Fold in whipped topping, then egg white mixture. Drain raspberries, reserving 3 tablespoons juice. In a small bowl, crush half of berries with 1 tablespoon juice. Set remaining berries and juice aside.
• Spread a third of cream cheese mixture over crust; spoon half of crushed berry mixture over the top. Repeat layers. Cut through with a knife to swirl raspberries.
• Top with remaining cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with reserved berries and drizzle with remaining juice. Cover and freeze for 5 hours or until firm. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Prep: 45 min. Cook: 20 min. + freezing
Yield: 12 Servings
WW PointsPlus 6
Find the original recipe here.